Monday, December 7, 2015

Can I have some catfish with the please?

When the film Catfish was made, cat-fishing was not new. However, the term for it was. In the film, Nev is communicating with what he think is three different people: Abby, Megan, and Angela. What surprised me in the film was how well Nev responded when he went and to Angela's house and say that Angela looked nothing like her pictures. Although the people he was with was very uncomfortable with the situation Nev seemed as though he was not. If I were in the situation that Nev was in, I do not think I would have responded the same way. Frankly, I do not think that I would go to someones house that I barely know unannounced. Even after Nev found information that proved that Angela was not who she  claimed to be, he continued for the sake of the documentary. I cannot say that I would do the same thing. With this film, cat-fishing was brought to my attention. I knew it existed and that people were cat-fished all the time, but actually seeing the process and seeing Nev go from getting really comfortable with the person to being basically freaked out was an eye opener. Angela's husband take on the situation was odd to me. He made it seem as though cat-fishing is alright although it is not. He used the example of how catfish keeps the cod agile. Comparing it to people, he said that we need catfish in our lives to keep things interesting and to keep us on our feet. I do not agree with this. Cat-fishing has resulted in people being abducted and even killed all because they seemed nice and they wanted to meet each other.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Catfish are not necessary. But, I do think that people need to be careful when they are online. The fact of the matter is that they do exist. I also don't think that I would have reacted the same way as Nev would have. I don't have the best poker face and I am not sure if I would have been able to play along for the sake of the documentary. I think that they handled it well and am happy that it didn't turn into a dangerous situation for Nev and his crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also was surprised at how calm Nev was. It shocked me that he didn't get emotional or upset. I also agree that we do not need catfish. It is not right to play with people's feelings and waste their time. A lot of horrible things can happen because of that as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete